Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy birthday ama!

It was a surprise. As my mom's birthday approached, according to her, her two daughters and husband had absolutely no plans to celebrate her special day. So at midnight on Saturday as we snuck into her room with an ice cream coffee cake with a lit candle, we told her that in the morning we'd take her to go see The Queen Mary in Long Beach with a dinner afterwards. And by the smile she gave us, I think she had a Sally Field moment. "They like me, they really really like me!" 

This past Saturday me and family spent the day taking a self guided tour of The Queen Mary that only lasted like 30 minutes because we weren't able to use our head sets correctly. And maybe because we hate following directions and my dad prefers tours that don't involve anything technological. Or English. 

So as we carelessly took our own version of the tour and bonded over people watching, my mom was happy. And because of that, I was happy. Because honestly, being her daughter has been more than a blessing all these years. It's been an honor. And right now I sound like I just came out of a hallmark card, but whatever. 

Ama, thank you for the unconditional love you give, the wisdom you have taught me, your unshakable faith, for your gift in making home made flour tortillas, your support, your patience, and strength. It is through you that I've learned the kind of woman I want to be and should be. My desire is that one day, when the time comes for me to be a mom, I am able to be the kind of example and loving mother you've been to me. I love you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment