Friday, December 16, 2011

It pays to work hard...

I walked into her small office hoping she would give me answers to my questions. When I was a sophomore in high school a friend of mine told me about an amazing program called MCHS [Middle College High School]. A program she herself had been a part of in high school and one that she had nothing but amazing words to say. This program allowed a selected group of high school students to enter in their junior year of high school into a community college where they would study not only for a high school diploma but also for an associates degree. All by the time of high school graduation. And, get this, it was all for free! Say what!? Yes, for FREE!! Tuition, books, fees, everything, for absolutely no price at all! At this point I was pretty much sold and determined to do everything I could to be part of the sixty group of students who were selected each year for this program. And it was free, he-lloo!!


So when I went to ask some questions about MCHS to the counselor in charge of the program's recruitment at my high school, I didn't get the response or answers I was looking for. "If I were you, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Only sixty students are chosen out of a total of five schools so there may be a chance you may not get picked. The program only picks the students who stand out the most."

Oh, you want me to stand out! Well how bout I shove my fist in your FACE, and see if I stand out then!!!! Ok-maybe I didn't say that, but I was thinking it. Needless to say, I left her office discouraged. As if my entire fifteen year old existence had absolutely no significance. Maybe she was right. Perhaps I had no shot at this. I mean, who was I kidding right!? There was no chance I would get picked when there were hundreds of other students who were smarter and more qualified than I was. But despite my fears and insecurities I decided to apply for the program, and after the entire recruitment process was done, I was one of the sixty students who were chosen. I worked harder in those two years than I ever did before. I graduated with honors, received my associates degree at the age of seventeen and transferred to a four year university out of high school. Dear counselor lady: You just got BUUURNNED! Alright-alright, that's enough.

I write this, not to pride myself on anything. What I accomplished couldn't have been possible without the support of my family, my friends and teachers who pushed me to always do better.  I write this to say that hard work, discipline, passion and determination are key to achieving any types of goals.  Whatever goal or goals you may have remember that achieving them won't come easy. You might break a sweat or shed some tears along the way but the reward you gain at the end is all worth it.

Happy weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment