Monday, December 19, 2011

Practicing and free shoots...

I'm learning that to become a skilled photographer there are three simple yet important words I need to live, breathe and stand by. Practice, practice, practice. And more practice. Ok-that was four, but you get my point! Yes, even if that means doing a few free shoots here and there just so that I could get my feet wet and start taking pictures of actual human beings instead of the the palm trees in the back yard. Building up a portfolio is vital for a photography business. Having solid material to show potential clients is very important, because I highly think I'll be hired if all I have to show them is pictures of palm trees and flour pots. Just being real here.

So when I asked my best friend Pam if she'd let me do a photo shoot this week of her for free, just so that I could practice on her, she was all for it. Maybe she said yes because she swears she was a model in her previous life, or maybe it was because she absolutely adores me and because she doesn't think life would be worth living without me. Yeah, I'd say it was the adoring me part that convinced her to do the shoot.



If you want to start a photography business. Remember, practice, prace practice! Practice on anyone who is willing to stand in front of your camera. Doing that will build confidence and creativity. And yes, do it even if that means doing just a few shoots for free. After you've built a solid portfolio for people to look at, then you can start charging for your services.

Along with Pam, I'll also be doing another shoot this week for free of a close friend. Thanks ladies for your help and for willing to model in front of the camera! You're awesome, really, you are. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment