Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Tip Tuesday on a Wednesday: Studying poses

I know I know, today isn't Tuesday but I still wanted to keep this tip thing going. Yesterday I posted a new shoot of a fabulous family because I just couldn't help myself. Ain't nothing wrong with that! So today, tip Tuesday is a little late so don't hate. And that sentence right there totally rhymed.

Today's tip is in regards to studying poses. Why is this important? When shooting, it is very important to be on top of time. You want to make the best use of the time you have to shoot, whether it's shooting for an hour or shooting an event that will last you the whole day. Studying poses and mentally preparing yourself before you arrive to a shoot is crucial and it will save you time. I'm a lifestyle photographer so the shoots I normally do last about an hour so before I even arrive to a shoot I'm already thinking of what poses I'm going to ask my client to try. That way, I'm more focused on getting the shot that I want versus trying to figure out how I'm going to position my client during the shoot. One of the ways I do this is by browsing through various poses in fashion magazines. My personal favorites are Vogue, and Nylon because they have awesome fashion spreads that are fresh and modern. One thing to keep in mind is that everyday people are not professional models, so we as photographers need to direct them and guide them into a pose in a way that is comfortable for them. If I'm shooting a family, I think before hand, of how I'm going to place each individual and where, if I'm shooting a senior or a portrait session I do the same thing. So when you have the time, go to a Barnes and Noble or your nearest book store, grab some magazines, study away and find ways on how to incorporate some of those poses in your next shoot. :) And because posts are better with pictures check out this pose I found online. I decided to use it in the Frida Kahlo inspired shoot and I think Shiany owned it!

Happy Wednesday!


 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your knowledge Fernanda!! Vogue is one of my fave magazines. I totally agree with you Shiany owned that pose!

    ReplyDelete